For everyone, it is important that we are educated and made aware of what “good” posture should feel and look like, so we can retrain the brain to re- adopt these optimal postures. PPS teaches you good sitting, standing, walking and lifting postures which you can integrate into your everyday activities, reducing those sore and tight areas and allowing us to rely on our deep postural muscles for support.
Scientific evidence supports the link between incontinence and back pain, and this for a new or expectant mother can be a major problem. Pilates helps to reduce this problem with a focus on firstly correct breathing patterns which allows effective recruitment of the deep core muscles; the deep abdominals, pelvic floor, and deep back muscles; which then allows you to safely use the big muscles of the shoulders, legs and back for more demanding tasks. Our classes are “pelvic floor” safe, run either as a one on one, or in small groups. We provide safe and progressive classes that are performed using small equipment e.g. Swiss ball, bands and foam rollers. We also modify the classes to suit each stage of an individual’s pregnancy or using wedges when lying on your back, taping and belly theratube for extra support.
THE BENEFITS OF PRE NATAL PILATES
- Assists your body to adapt to the changes of posture that occur throughout your pregnancy.
- Relieves back and pelvic pain
- Reduces the likelihood of “abdominal separation” (Rectus Abdominus Diastasis)
- Reduces the likelihood of incontinence problems during and after pregnancy
- Assists in a faster return to your normal body shape, muscle tone and strength after birth
THE BENEFITS OF POST NATAL PILATES
- Restores your pre pregnancy shape and posture
- Restores good breathing patterns
- Regains control of the pelvic floor and core muscles
- Prevents or management incontinence issues
- Assists in the treatment of “abdominal separation” (Rectus Abdominus Diastasis)
- Begins to increase overall strength to adapt to the physical demands of motherhood.
- Prepares your body for aerobic and high impact exercise
Before you start your pre or post natal Pilates you will require an initial assessment (one hour). This will help us to tailor exercises to address your specific requirements as an individual within the small group environment, and objective measures to evaluate your improvement throughout the term.
During this assessment we will:
- Measure your abdominal separation (post natal only)
- Assess your posture (including your spine, shoulders and pelvis)
- Provide an appropriate pre or post natal home programme to address your most relevant issues.
- Advise on pre pregnancy activities or return to exercise after giving birth.
REAL TIME ULTRASOUND