Pilates MAX Class
Have you been doing Pilates classes for while and want to maximally challenge your core and body control, and challenge your strength and fitness?
The programme has been developed for our clients that have been coming to classes and now feel that they have the ability to subconsciously activate their core and can also ‘single leg squat’ and ‘hop’ with control.
It is an advanced level class with a strength, plyometric and cardio component.
It will help train your body to use correct recruitment patterns over multiple joints (e.g. hip, knee and ankle) and correct technique through fitness based Pilates.
It will be a high rep, high tempo class which will work your whole body hard!
The addition of Plyometrics
, also known as "jump training" or "plyos", focuses on a muscle learning to move through a forced eccentric contraction (stretch) which was then immediately switches to a concentric contraction (contracted) in a rapid or "explosive" manner, seen in specialised repeated jumping. The muscles exert maximum force in short intervals of time, with the goal of increasing power (speed-strength). Plyometrics exercises activate the quick response and elastic properties of the major muscles in the body. Sports using plyometrics include basketball, tennis and volleyball as well as the various codes of football.
Pilates MAX also harnesses the multiple “slings”
of our body that we use in everyday movement. These myofascial “slings” connect the upper and lower limbs via the muscles (myo), and the tissue (fascia) that surrounds and connects the muscle to bone. These myofascial “slings” run in a line from the top of the body down the legs, and may be longitudinal, or oblique and they coordinate together to give us fluid and efficient movement from head to toe. The classes consequently train both the arm/s and leg/s simultaneously to enhance your performance.
Pilates MAX will help us perform the high level activities we enjoy such as running, swimming and other sports more easily and help minimise effort and injury - “using less energy at a given speed is advantageous to performance.”
The classes utilise your own body weight, resistance bands, balls, steps to further challenge and build our neural and muscular system.The classes aim to improve your everyday performance by increasing your:
- Strength: the ability to move a load
- Muscle size: the cross sectional area of the muscle.
- Muscle endurance: to perform the activity repetitively and easily,
- Power, speed and agility: the ability to move your own bodyweight quickly and deliberately, and to change direction with speed and accuracy.
- Cardiovascular endurance: using both your arms and legs together for short bursts creates a high intensity component of the class that will increase your heart rate, pump the blood around your system and improve your stamina.
- Fat loss: through the combination of resistance training and cardiovascular exercise
- Range of movement: stretching the large muscle groups is a vital component to each class, along with working the joints through their full range of movement.
Check out our current timetables for Pilates MAX classes