Post Pregnancy Exercise For Optimal Post Natal Outcomes Essential Knowledge For Physiotherapists Working With New Mums
Upon completion of this program students shall be competent to:
- List the benefits of exercise for the post natal woman
- Name the limitations to exercise for the post natal woman
- Describe the effects of pregnancy and delivery on the musculoskeletal system
- List the contraindications to exercise after delivery
- List the signs and symptoms leading to cessation of exercise
- Assess a postpartum woman’s readiness for exercise, including lumbopelvic stability and posture.
- Identify symptoms of postpartum pelvic girdle pain.
- Define core stability and understand the role of each component and it’s postnatal relevance
- Describe a diastasis of the rectus abdominus muscles and list contributing factors, and be able to assess and manage DRA.
- Implement appropriate modifications to exercise for women with identified dysfunctions
- Assess and advise the post natal woman in regard to good posture and ergonomics
- Explain the indications for appropriate referral to a medical specialist